Monday, February 29, 2016

Gallery 209 - I'm HERE!

I am so pleased to announce that I have been accepted as the newest member of Gallery 209 on River Street in Savannah!  The gallery is very successful and has been in existence for over 40 years in their wonderful location in the heart of the Tourist District in Historic Downtown Savannah across from the Convention Center.
my fiber artwork on display downstairs at Gallery 209
I was able to use the wonderful racks of their former fiber artist Carole Kay who I have known through the Fiber Guild of the Savannahs.  Carole has decided to sell all of her looms and equipment and has bought an RV and is off to see the USA! I am so lucky to have been at the right place at the right time to fill her empty spot.  

One of my new year's resolutions was to find a local gallery to sell my fiber artwork.  I love creating it and hate doing craft shows and it was time to find the perfect place to sell my work.  I am excited that Gallery 209 is it!  

Gallery 209 did over $300,000 in gross sales last year representing 31 different artists in a variety of media from 2D paintings and geclees to jewelry to ceramics and stained glass and they have always had 2 fiber artists.  Now I am one!  Gini Steele is the other... Gini creates mostly handknit and crochet items - no weaving. Carole's work was based on several designs that were made from yardage she wove and embellished with broaches that she made out of femo clay.  My weaving is quite different as I like to create one of a kind items with freestyle weaving techniques... and also nuno felted items.  I hope I do well, but its just wonderful having a well established venue to show my work!  Wish me luck!
Uptairs in the balcony area is my Handwoven Haori - a kimono like jacket in wool using a unique textile design with a kumihimo braided closure.
At the top of the stairs you will find my Handspun, Handwoven coat - woven in wool and silk and cashmere handspun in a unique design with handknit and crochet edging and details.



No comments:

Post a Comment