Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Weaving my way through the Blues

"Ocean Breeze" scarf 72" x 9" with 8" fringe  Alpaca, silk, cotton & sparkle

How fortunate weavers are to be able to sit at the loom and focus on creating fabric instead of obsessing over the affairs of the world and our country.  With the holidays rapidly approaching I have been weaving many wonderful things.

I have tried to post what I weave on Facebook and Instagram to create more interest and my New Year's resolution for 2017 is to get serious about creating an Etsy store.  I seem to have a mental block about it.  Everyone tells me its easy-peasy, but I get bogged down in wanting professional photographs.  That isn't happening... at least not yet... so i need to get over it and be happy with the ones I take with my iPhone.

One of my business goals was met in December when I finally revamped my website so that it was focused more on my textile designs and fiber art than the book I wrote about the Bauhaus weavers.   It's a work in progress, so suggestions are welcome!  You can find it at suzanneworkhokanson.com  It now looks like this:



Some other textile artwork I have been creating with my new Saori loom:
After Matthew... fabric woven on alpaca silk warp with several handspun yarns. 

Shawl woven on a prewound Saori warp of silk noils
Second shawl from the prewound Saori silk noil warp
  
Jewel Tones Scarf - owned by BDinoff

Detail of"Ocean Breeze" scarf 72" x 9" with 8" fringe  Alpaca, silk, cotton & sparkle

"Glow"- My first piece woven on my new Saori loom, now owned by my brother's friend in Santa Cruz
Detail first Saori loom weaving on silk with cotton, linen, handspun silk noil and silk kimono fabric weft
Detail first Saori loom weaving on silk with cotton, linen, handspun silk noil and silk kimono fabric weft
I was also able to finish my Handspun Wool fabric woven on my 8shaft Mighty Wolf with a mostly alpaca silk warp.  I can't wait to see what it becomes.  I am thinking it would be a great light weight jacket.  Just off the loom and spread out on the living room floor by our silver Christmas tree...
Alpaca, silk and some wool warp with handspun wool and alpaca and art yarn weft - 11.7 ft x 2.4 ft
PreWashed weaving with fringes braided
After washing (fulling) before Steaming
After washing (fulling) before Steaming
After washing (fulling) before Steaming
Steamed and pressed and ready for sewing
Steamed and pressed and ready for sewing
Steamed and pressed and ready for sewing













No comments:

Post a Comment