Monday, May 9, 2016

Taking what I've learned and Experimenting with new TOOLS

The window of the Frayed Knot in historic downtown Savannah displaying the work of Picassso's Moon fiber artist Deb Lambert

 I met Debra Lambert over the internet on Facebook... where I've met many of my fiber friends.  I went to meet her in person last Spring when I attended the SWAY (SouthWest [FL} Art Yarn conference in Sarasota, FL where she has her Fiber Shop.  I was so excited to learn that she was coming to Savannah after I told Jen Schofield, the owner of my favorite LYS (local yarn shop) the Frayed Knot about her.  I signed up for Deb's 3 hour weaving with art yarns workshop on Sunday morning, April 3.
Deb (L) and Jen (R) at TFK
Deb had warped up some 10" Cricket looms with novelty yarns with a wide set and we were encouraged to play with all kinds of textures.  I quickly picked neutral colors with pops of pale pink velvet that Deb encouraged us to rip into strips.  She had artyarn and roving and sticks from bamboo mats and all sorts of textures to add into our weaving.  What fun!

Fellow student's weaving in progress
Weaving surrounded by wonderful "STUFF!"
TEXTURE!
My weaving in progress
Detail of my weaving in progress
My finished piece hanging on our wall!






Deb's Wallhanging
I ordered a curvy stick from her longtime beau Joe M who creates wonder tools.  I was blown away when Deb gifted me one of his little I shaped looms and then sent me home with a bag FULL of treasures including several pieces of leather.

If you ever have the opportunity to take a weaving workshop with Deb Lambert... DO!  Her enthusiasm and expertise abound! 



No comments:

Post a Comment