Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Time flies...


Where has the summer gone? Well, actually it's just starting up here in the North Country where summer never really begins until after the 4th of July. We've been enjoying our first days of high humidity though the temps haven't gotten above mid-80s. In Savannah they are suffering through their 55th consecutive day above 90 with many of them having a heat index of over 100!!! NOT FOR ME! I love our summers up here on beautiful Lake Champlain living on our sailboat in a marina just north of Plattsburgh, NY. Life is good -- very uncomplicated and comfortable especially celebrating the summer days in the gazebo and dipping in the pool when it gets too hot!

I have managed to get a lot done. Knit wise -- I finished a layette for our youngest son and his girlfriend's upcoming baby due early September. I tackled an Elizabeth Zimmermann classic -- the Baby Surprise Jacket. The surprise was on me when I had a terrible time "getting it!". I could have knit 3 of them for the number of times I frogged (rip it rip it) but I finally won and it did turn out rather nice despite being a little larger than I expected. (I was aiming for a newborn size bit it's more like 3-6 month size.). I then made a cute cap and some booties and a soaker to complete the layette. In finished just in time for their shower in Providence, RI over the weekend of the 4th.


I'm also working on a summer top for me in a yummy shade of pale pink. I'm adapting a couple of pattern and adding basket weave to the center front and back. I think I'll split the front off center at the edge of the bw so it can be worn either open or buttoned closed and boat necked. I'm almost finished withnthe back and will start the front above the armholes decreases as I knit the bottom with circular needles.

I've also been doing a little weaving on a cute Bavarian frame loom I bought on eBay for about $20. Perferct for the boat. And I brought my drop spindles and have gotten some spinning done too.

But... My biggest project has been decorating the interior of the boat. I made upholstery for the cushions in Savannah in April and May. I was excited to find they fit quite well when I got up to the boat in early June and could fit them on the foam cushions! Then we needed curtains... I had purchased some striped cloth to compliment the upholstery blue from the outlet store in Coventry, Georgia so I just needed to figure out how to mount them on the boat! I bought rowel rods and had Lowes cut them to size for me to stretch the gathered cloth on. My dear hubby came up with the idea of attaching the rods using plastic zip tags using the screws and holes already in the aluminum window frames. I just finished this morning - all 6 sets of curtains-- and they look pretty good! Now to make throw pillow covers and upholster the complicated captains navigation chair!

So I have been busy... While finding plenty of time to relax and read and of course, go playing with the wind! Life is GOOD!!!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear life on Lake Champlain is good and uncomplicated! Definitely better than the southern swelter - not for me, either.

    Post pics of your sweater when you get it completed.

    ReplyDelete