Thursday, April 30, 2009

Key Lime Pa-a-a

Well, I don't speak Southern yet... but I am trying out a few Southern dishes in my effort to become more Southern.   My hubby loves key lime pie (actually I love it, too) so the first Southern dish I tried was Key Lime Pie.  (Pa-a-a -- or something like that in "Southern")  I've also tried some sweet potato dishes -- biscuits with sweet potatos and the greatest sweet potato souffle ever (if I don't say so myself.)  

Tuesday was my last night at Wild Fibre's Tuesday night stitch group until September, so I decided to go all out with a Pa-a-a; a Key Lime Pa-a-a.  We're heading back up north for the summer -- we're avoiding the hot, humid Savannah summer for the cooler breezes on Lake Champlain.  We'll be living aboard our new-to-us Catalina 36 sailboat (see below) at Treadwell Bay Marina,  an hour south of Montreal outside of Plattsburgh, NY.   Anyway, back to the Pa-a-a... several people have asked for the recipe... so here it is y'all.  It's adapted from Paula Deen's Uncle Bubba's recipe.  I cannot do meringue like it calls for so I've scrapped that for whipped cream.

So here it is:
Crust:
1 pkg graham crackers
1/2 cup chopped nuts (almonds or pecans)
5 Tbsp. butter
Mix together in a Cuisinart

Filling:
Mix together 
2 cans (14 oz each) of Sweetened Condensed Milk 
4 egg yolks 
1 cup of key lime juice (or freshly squeezed juice from 5 limes)
2 tsp. lime zest  (1 in pie and 1 on top before baking)

Press graham cracker crust mixture in a 9" pan.
Add the filling.
Put some lime zest on the top.

Bake in 350 degree oven for about 1/2 hour.  Check to see that filling is firm.
Serve with whipped cream on top.
YUMMY! 
OUR SUMMER HOME - KRICKET V

1 comment:

  1. Heh, I knew when I was looking at your sock photos that was a Catalina, I just couldn't tell if it was a 30' or not. NICE 36'. I have a 30' on Lake Mead, Nevada. There are pictures my blog at www.soulknitting.blogspot.com. Oh yea, a few knitting pictures too :::gg:::. And a link to my 'Clapotis Spreadsheet' if you ever need it. Happy sailing!!

    ReplyDelete